Chicken Sausage over Lentils
Quick-cooking French lentils are at the heart of this simple dish. Roasted garlic chicken sausage complements the flavors.
Total cook time
- 1¼ cups dried French green lentils,
- 1 bay leaf,
- 1 sprig fresh thyme,
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided,
- 1 cup finely diced fennel,
- 1 onion, finely diced,
- 1 medium large carrot, peeled and finely diced,
- 1 stalke celery, finely diced,
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped,
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar,
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard,
- ½ teaspoon salt,
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper,
- 1 12-ounce package fully cooked roasted garlic chicken sausage,
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional),
In a medium lidded pot, combine lentils, bay leaf, thyme sprig and 6 cups lightly salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes until lentils are tender (they should be slightly firm, not mushy). Drain and remove herbs.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel, onion, carrot and celery. Cook 10 minutes or until softened. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes. Stir in drained lentils, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.
Prepare chicken sausage per package directions. Slice on the bias in 1/4-inch pieces. Serve over lentils. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.